Catching Up With the Curtis Family

Catching Up With the Curtis Family

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tooth Trouble!!!!

I really was unaware of what today was going to bring! It only took until about 8:30 in the morning for me to figure out how the day was going to unfold. McKenna had an orthodontist appointment first thing in the morning in order to get her expander taken out, fitted for another one, and then return in the afternoon to get the new one put in. I failed to remember how traumatic going to Dr. Thompson's office was not only for McKenna, but for myself, as well. It only took about fifteen minutes at Dr. Thompson's for the days planned activities to change. Needless to say, McKenna DID NOT take well to getting the expander taken out. The crying began prior to even sitting in the chair...nobody had even touched her or talked to her at this point. She had herself so worked up that after the painful event of getting the expander out, she vomited all over. NEAT!!! Again, a lovely start to the day. The fear and pain in her eyes and screams was agonizing for me as her mother, but I have to keep reminding myself and her that it is painful to be beautiful. :-) Finally, after digging in her mouth to get the excess glue off of her teeth, Dr. Thompson decided that we needed to wait until the big sore in her mouth heals before doing impressions and putting a new expander in her mouth. My immediate thought, "Please, just get it done today." However, after looking at her, wanting to comfort her, and feeling mortified that my child was scaring every other patient in that office, I was more than happy to walk out of the office for the day knowing I wouldn't have to return for at least three weeks. I always feel sorry for the nurses that get McKenna as I know she is soooo scared and will cry. After we left that office and I was able to console her, I took her to get a Gatorade and then took her to school. (See, it is the little things that make a difference! Plus it only cost me $1.29!) The only positive that came out of today was...McKenna gets to chew gum for 3 weeks. She is so excited as she hasn't had any since September! Gum is her favorite...she has almost chewed a half of a pack today. These are the days that make me thank God for having her in my life...we will always have something to reminisce about as she grows up! Love you with all my heart, McKenna!

Kieran (our neighbor) and McKenna playing after school

Blowing bubbles!!! Thank goodness for gum!!!

Level 3 swim lessons...she has improved so much and loves them! (She is in the far lane.)
Dane with his new do...looks just like Doug with it so short! Scary!!










No comments:

Post a Comment