Boy, I didn't realize that it has been so long since I posted last. I guess I am good about staying caught up in the lives of others, but not so much about keeping people updated about our lives. The school year has come to an end; therefore, beginning yet another summer vacation for our family. I have come to the conclusion that there was nobody more ready for the summer break than myself. This school year has been filled with challenges from our principal resigning in October, two teachers leaving in the middle of the school year, and Doug not enjoying his teaching position at South Side too much. During all of these challenges, we have really turned to our faith in Jesus about how to live according to his will. Doug and I have really been challenged with what is God's will for our lives. We have hit our knees all the while praying to give us guidance as we look for a new direction in our jobs, our family, and our personal use of time. During this time period, I have felt a real calling to go on a mission trip to serve other people that are less fortunate than ourselves. We tend so often to get caught up in ourselves and our pride and forget how lucky we are to live the life that we have been blessed with. Therefore, in July I will be traveling to Haiti for about 9 days with a group of 25 people/kids. All aspects of our too familiar life will be out the window as we travel to a poverty stricken country with limited water, food, shelter, and clothing. Our mission will be to provide Vacation Bible School to children at Mission of Hope and travel to villages and do some building projects. As a group, everyone is at very different stages of their relationships with Jesus. It is going to be great to see what Jesus has planned for us. I have no doubt that our lives are going to be rocked by what we will encounter on this trip. Please be in prayer for us prior to us traveling and while we are there. We ask God to surround us with safety and guidance as we set out to minister to others. My hope is to update while in Haiti, but I am pretty sure that we will have very limited access to internet service. I have already been praying as I will have to go 8 days without communicating with Doug and McKenna. This will be my biggest challenge as I am so used to having access to them all the time. I ask that you pray for me as this is a long time to go without talking to the ones that you love.
A quick update about our lives...McKenna just finished her 4th grade year at McKenney Harrison Elementary. She got all A+'s and I couldn't be more proud of her. She definitely works really hard at everything that she does. She is playing softball on her travel Krush team and loves it. This has taken a lot of our weekend time as we have traveled to Warsaw, Wabash, Monticello, etc. to go to tournaments. Her team has made tremendous improvement over the last year and finally won their first tournament last weekend. The team will be traveling to Peoria, IL for the World Series at the end of July. She has been going to many different camps, as well.
God has answered a couple of prayers in the way of Doug and his teaching job. He has spent the past three years teaching at South Side and has been unable to ask for an internal change in FWCS because he signed a contract as teacher at a LEAD school. However, that three year contract is up this year and he applied for a position at Northrop and GOT IT! Therefore, he is very excited to be heading back to where he originally started at the beginning of next school year. However, he did apply for a teaching position at Leo back in February and never heard anything until last week. He got an interview last Thursday and we are hoping to hear by tomorrow whether or not he gets that job. We believe, from what we have heard from his three references, that it sounds very promising. This would be a very welcome change for Doug. So, we again, pray and wait to see what God's will is for Doug and his teaching career.
Below are just a few pictures from our tournament win last weekend. I need to get better about taking pictures again...I have been slacking.
God's Blessings,
The Curtis Family
No comments:
Post a Comment